July is here and finally, it’s summer and we all switch into “Vacation mode” or at least “I’d like to be in Vacation Mode”.
Here are some on line resources to help make your planning easier and to save you some money. I’ve divided them into categories and included some pre-travel tips at the end.
The Fine Print
This is just a list of sites. I have not used most of them and do not warranty or recommend the services that they provide. Note – the fine print on this list is upfront and in large print – just like the services I provide.
If you plan to stay in Ontario
Here are some web sites to get great bargains:
• www.AttractionsOntario.ca - this site includes discount coupons for a range of Toronto and Ontario attractions
• www.bargainmoose.ca/ - Bargain Moose finds you the best deals in Canada, and keeps you up-to-date with Canadian coupon codes, freebies and hot deals. You can even sign up to get their newsletter.
• www.groupon.com/toronto - Get 50 to 90 percent off the best stuff your city has to offer. This link is for Toronto, but many other cities are available.
• www.shoestringshopping.com/ - Find bargains and warehouse sales in the Greater Toronto Area
• www.menupalace.com/menupalace/ - Restaurants, MenuPalace.com is North America's ultimate Restaurant dining guide. It includes discount coupons.
If you’re looking for things to do, try these sites:
• www.seeTorontoNow.com – for a list of what’s on in the city.
• You can also try the event listing in Now magazine – www.NowToronto.com for what’s coming up in the next week
• if you’re looking to go to the Stratford or Shaw festivals – their websites are:
• If you prefer to check out the smaller summer theatre festivals – a listing can be found at www.TheatreOntario.org
Looking to Travel
Looking for web sites that offer good deals? How about checking the following:
Looking just for a rental car – www.Breezenet.com
How about specials on air fares - www.MoMondo.com – a Danish site with low air fares
Some sites with Cruise specials include:
Looking for places to stay?
• www.CasaCasa.org – links travelers looking for places to stay with people who have rooms to spare. It bills itself as a budget B&B
• www.Digsville.com – a home-swapping site
• www.HomeExchange.com – is 18 years old and assists people looking to swap homes. They have 36,000 homes worldwide
• www.affordabletravelclub.net – you must be at least 40 years of age, have a permanent residence, and be able to provide clean, comfortable, and private sleeping quarters and either full or continental breakfast for two or more guests.
• www.HotelsCombined.com - A site that scans the other web sites to find the best deal in hotels
Looking for a bike tour - www.BikeToursDirect.com
Looking for a guide abroad?
Do you have Travel Insurance if you’re traveling out of Ontario? Give me a call and I can point you in the right direction. Note – most group plans include Emergency Medical Travel Insurance as one of the benefits.
If you are going on an extended trip – let your credit card company know. You also need to have a trusted friend or neighbor check your house or your home insurance policy may not be valid should something go wrong.
Finally, don’t forget about potential Roaming charges on your cell phone if you travel out of the province. Check with your service provider for your options.
Do you know of additional web sites? Let me know and I will add them to this list.